Definition of inoculate in English:
- Troops were inoculated against expected infectious diseases as well as two agents of biological warfare - anthrax and botulinum toxin.
- Army doctors have started inoculating villagers against disease.
- I'll rest easier knowing I'm inoculated against eradicated diseases like Smallpox.
- In lymphatic filariasis, infective larvae are inoculated by mosquitoes; adult worms are found in lymph nodes or adjacent lymphatics, and offspring circulate in the blood, often only at night.
- Given their effects on soybean plants, it is hypothesized that the PGPR strains exert their influence via the production of specific compounds after they have been inoculated into plant rhizospheres.
- Organisms obtained from these animals, when inoculated into uninfected animals, proved to be unresponsive to atovaquone therapy, suggesting the emergence of drug resistance.
- For initial qualitative screening of elevated mutation frequencies in isolates, a single colony of each isolate to be tested was inoculated into 4 ml Luria broth.
- A purified colony was inoculated into 5 ml of broth and grown overnight before plating dilutions onto LB plates supplemented with 50 g/ml thymidine.
- White colonies were inoculated into 96-well plates.
late Middle English (in the sense 'graft a bud or shoot into a plant of a different type'): from Latin inoculat- 'engrafted', from the verb inoculare, from in- 'into' + oculus 'eye, bud'. The sense 'vaccinate' dates from the early 18th century.
- Example sentences
- The article covers a probable impact of global changes on the distribution of bloodsucking arthropods as the vectors of inoculable disease agents.
- In England, the increase of inoculable diseases was 20 per cent., notwithstanding an expenditure of 200 millions sterling since 1850 in sanitary works.
- Example sentences
- Mick had left a skilled job as a juvenile-salmon inoculator.
- In that great day there won't be any doctors anymore, nothing but inoculators - and here and there a perishing undertaker.
- Money allowed them to purchase the services of inoculators.