A simple carbohydrate that occurs in animal and plant tissue and is a vitamin of the B group.
- Alternative name: hexahydroxycyclohexane; chemical formula: C6H12O6
More example sentences
- Betaine, along with choline, methionine, vitamin B12, and inositol, were first known for their ability to protect against the development of fatty liver in animals as early as 1954.
- Molecules with phosphorylated inositol are termed polyphosphoinositides.
- In the intact plant, inositol is synthesized in the leaf in response to salinization, and transported to the root in phloem.
late 19th century: from the earlier name inosite + -ol.
More definitions of inositolDefinition of inositol in:
- The British & World English dictionary