Definition of inseminate in English:
Introduce semen into (a woman or a female animal) by natural or artificial means.
- At the National Wildlife Research Center in Taif, female bustards are artificially inseminated and the chicks are hand-raised and then released.
- At the predicted time of ovulation she is artificially inseminated with semen from the husband of the infertile woman…
- If you artificially inseminate a chicken with semen from a turkey, few if any of the sperm find their way into the females' sperm store, and at best, only 2 to 3 percent of the eggs will be fertile.
early 17th century: from Latin inseminat- 'sown', from the verb inseminare, from in- 'into' + seminare 'plant, sow' (from semen, semin- 'seed, semen').
- Example sentences
- The three main types of assisted conception are intrauterine insemination, in vitro fertilisation, and intracytoplasmic sperm injection.
- Donor sperm can be used for either intrauterine insemination or in vitro fertilization.
- On a purely physical level, it makes sense to lie down for a few minutes after artificial intrauterine insemination, although not all infertility clinics insist on this.
Definition of inseminate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan