noun (plural same or insignias)
- 1A badge or distinguishing mark of military rank, office, or membership of an organization; an official emblem: a khaki uniform with colonel’s insignia on the collarMore example sentences
- These liveries came to be distinguished by heraldic insignia and emblems.
- The US system of rank badges and insignia, introduced in the early 19th century, is highly distinctive, and instructive.
- Ramirez stood up easily in his military uniform, no insignia giving his rank.
- 1.1A distinguishing mark or token of something: they left eternally inert blooms, the insignia of melancholyMore example sentences
- We ourselves circulate as so many signs, carrying on our bodies innumerable minor signs and insignias.
mid 17th century: from Latin, plural of insigne 'sign, badge of office', neuter of insignis 'distinguished (as if by a mark)', from in- 'toward' + signum 'sign'.