- 1At once; immediately: she fell asleep almost instantlyMore example sentences
immediately, at once, straightaway, right away, instantaneously; suddenly, abruptly, all of a sudden; forthwith, then and there, here and now, this/that minute, this/that instant; quickly, rapidly, speedily, promptly; in an instant, in a moment, in a (split) second, in a trice, in/like a flash, like a shot, in the twinkling of an eye, in no time (at all), before you know it• informal in a jiffy, in a jiff, pronto, like (greased) lightning, stat, on the double, tout de suite
- My headache was even worse now so when I got back into the cabin I fell asleep almost instantly.
- The cheeses for export are coated with red wax, which makes them instantly recognizable.
- One of their films is instantly recognizable in a fashion that a Kazan film never is.
- 2 • archaic Urgently or persistently.More example sentences
- The sultan, to be assured of the truth, pleaded instantly.