noun (plural insulae /-ˌlē/)Anatomy
- A region of the brain deep in the cerebral cortex.More example sentences
- The insular cortex is indented by a number of sulci, one of which - the central sulcus of the insula - is deeper and more prominent than the rest.
- A few seconds later, presumably as the person responded to the humor, brain regions called the insula and amygdala became active across both hemispheres of the brain.
- While rejecting an offer, increased brain activity was observed in the anterior insula, which is associated with negative emotions such as disgust.
mid 19th century: Latin, literally 'island'.
More definitions of insulaDefinition of insula in:
- The British & World English dictionary