- 1A hormone produced in the pancreas by the islets of Langerhans that regulates the amount of glucose in the blood. The lack of insulin causes a form of diabetes.More example sentences
- The pancreas secretes the hormone insulin which is the key to allowing glucose to enter the cells.
- When you eat carbohydrates your body produces insulin which regulates your blood sugar levels and helps your body store fat.
- If you give it to people with low blood sugar, both insulin and blood glucose levels improve.
- 1.1An animal-derived or synthetic form of insulin used to treat diabetes.More example sentences
- Type I diabetes is treated by injections of insulin, which helps the body break down glucose, and a healthy diet.
- There are people here who are in need of insulin for their diabetes.
- I was glad that he was willing to restart the insulin, even if it was for the wrong reason.
early 20th century: from Latin insula 'island' + -in1.
More definitions of insulinDefinition of insulin in:
- The British & World English dictionary