1Having or showing intelligence, especially of a high level: Annabelle is intelligent and hardworking an intelligent guess
More example sentences
- He said that the media knew about the uniform floor rates and the increase in taxes was an intelligent guess.
- Backs can make intelligent guesses at what needs to be done; forwards just know it.
- Tina appears shy at first, but underneath that is a very hardworking, intelligent girl.
1.1(Of a device, machine, or building) able to vary its state or action in response to varying situations, varying requirements, and past experience.
- Yet when it comes to our homes the future has already happened and intelligent houses have become a reality.
- So if you're the intelligent user of these super intelligent gadgets, you can rest easy.
- The show, and it is a show, features intelligent lighting and a state of the art sound system.
Early 16th century: from Latin intelligent- 'understanding', from the verb intelligere, variant of intellegere 'understand', from inter 'between' + legere 'choose'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.