Definition of interceptor in English:
1A person or thing that stops or catches (someone or something) going from one place to another.
- Approximately 4,600 small interceptors would be deployed in orbit, each capable of homing in on and destroying incoming hostile warheads.
- There is also the issue that point short-range interceptors, when dealing with incoming missiles, are most effective when nuclear tipped.
- ‘The ABM treaty is a relic of the past,’ Bush said, arguing in favour of a missile defence system of interceptors to protect against incoming missiles from ‘rogue’ states.
1.1A fast aircraft for stopping or repelling hostile aircraft.
- Fighter jets provide escort, tail aircraft and act as interceptors.
- He effectively shows, even to the novice, that the design requirements for interceptors, ‘bomber-fighters,’ and air-superiority fighters are very dissimilar.
- Fighter interceptors stayed on high alert, ready to respond within minutes to identify and monitor suspicious aircraft.
Words that rhyme with interceptorCirencester • Sylvester
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan