Definition of intercolumniation in English:
The distance between two adjacent columns.
- For columns with these diameters in diastyle, the intercolumniation would have measured between 1.80 m and 2.90 m (2.40 m for a bottom diameter of 0.60 m).
- Hawksmoor's intercolumniation is 18 feet, a formidable span for a stone entablature.
- In his treatise Vitruvius listed different intercolumniation types: 3 diameters for diastilos, 2.25 diameters for eustilos, 2 diameters for eustylos and 1.25 diameters for picnostylos.
- Example sentences
- There are no intercolumnar bracket sets, and the hall has no ceiling: its roof frame is entirely exposed.
- An orator chooses images based on points of an argument or facts of a case that need to be remembered and relies on a stock set of architectural spaces, like a house or intercolumnar space, to serve as backgrounds.
Definition of intercolumniation in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan