- Of or relating to a period of milder climate between two glacial periods. Compare with interstadial.More example sentences
- It is well known that there were at least seven glacial and interglacial cycles with a period of 100,000 years in the last 700,000 years.
- During the early 1970s, most climate experts came to agree that interglacial periods tended to end more abruptly than had been supposed.
- Over the last half-million years or so, warm interglacial periods have been much shorter than the cold glaciations, lasting on average only 10,000 years.
nounBack to top
- An interglacial period.More example sentences
- Preceding and separating the cold glacial periods were three main interglacials (Cromerian, Hoxnian, and Ipswichian) when the climate was rather warmer.
- In between the ice ages, interglacials generally lasted about 10,000 years, which isn't long at all.
- These glaciers advanced during the four ice ages (glacial periods) and retreated during the three interglacials.
More definitions of interglacialDefinition of interglacial in:
- The British & World English dictionary