noun (plural intermedia /-dēə/)Zoology
- (In tetrapods) a carpal in the center of the wrist joint, or a tarsal in the center of the ankle joint.More example sentences
- It is thickest at its presumed proximal end and is expanded medially to form an overlapping joint with the intermedium.
- They therefore identified the medial, proximal tarsal bone of Diadectes as the intermedium and equated it with the reptilian astragalus.
- The intermedium articulated only proximally and distally - that is, it did not articulate with other wrist bones.
late 16th century (denoting an intervening action or performance): from late Latin, neuter (used as a noun) of Latin intermedius 'intermediate'.
More definitions of intermediumDefinition of intermedium in:
- The British & World English dictionary