Definition of intermezzo in English:
noun (plural intermezzi-ˈmetsē or intermezzos)
1A short connecting instrumental movement in an opera or other musical work.
- After about 1750 the intermezzo evolved further into opera buffa.
- The middle movements, intermezzos both, are characterised by mellow string and woodwind playing.
- It's funny, having known the chorus and the intermezzo well for years, I realised I only properly listened to the whole opera in order to write this blog entry.
1.1An intermezzo performed independently.
- Opera fans will be entertained by some of the world's favourite arias and intermezzos performed by acclaimed artists.
- Indeed, the two concert suites by Purcell and Mufas, that the orchestra played as intermezzos, sounded as if written for keyboards instead of strings.
Words that rhyme with intermezzomezzo
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.