Definition of interpellate in English:
1(In certain parliamentary systems) interrupt the order of the day by demanding an explanation from (the minister concerned).
- I said I did not have the capability to become premier because many legislators were interpellating the premier in [Hoklo, more commonly known as Taiwanese], and I could not understand Taiwanese 100 percent.
- Ruling and opposition lawmakers expressed their disagreement with the planned revisions when they interpellated Ho at the legislature's Home and Nations Committee meeting yesterday.
- As of last week, 277 members had put their names to a plan to interpellate (formally question) the president over the reasons for his decision.
2 Philosophy (Of an ideology or discourse) bring into being or give identity to (an individual or category).
[from the works of Althusser]
- Subjects are thus interpellated into the symbolic order as gendered and raced beings and are recognizable only in reference to the existing grid of intelligibility.
- The history plays as a whole arguably concern the way in which people are interpellated by their symbolic titles, assume or fail to assume their symbolic titles, are transformed by those titles.
- Genres are often seen prescriptively as a means of interpellating the subject into existing norms and hierarchies.
- Example sentences
- ‘For more than a month now, the Prime Minister has not been replying to questions and interpellations by the Coalition for Bulgaria in connection with the crisis,’ he added.
- As one of the moves to do away with old politics, there has been a change to the format of the parliamentary interpellation at the plenary session.
- And how might we resist these interpellations, or other potentially painful interpellations?
Words that rhyme with interpellateinterpolate
Definition of interpellate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia