1Ask questions of (someone, especially a suspect or a prisoner) closely, aggressively, or formally.
- He plays with the wording of questions or suddenly interrogates me about my private life.
- That designation means that United States authorities can interrogate him more aggressively, less encumbered by the legal protections an ordinary citizen would enjoy in a criminal case.
- Various men would approach Julius and I, usually interrogating us with questions of our commitment and how agreeable Julius truly was.
question, cross-question, cross-examine, quiz, catechize;
interview, examine, debrief, give someone the third degree
informal pump, grill
1.1 Computing Obtain data from (a computer file, database, storage device, or terminal).
- There are now increasing numbers of projects which aim systematically to sequence insertion sites, so that mutant isolation will simply involve interrogating databases and then requesting seed.
- The first hits obtained with the E. coli queries were used in turn to interrogate the databases.
- BGT opted to build a web-based system that would allow customers to interrogate the data held in its databases and pull down the information relevant to them on an ‘as-needed’ basis.
1.2(Of an electronic device) transmit a signal to (another device, especially one on a vehicle) to obtain a response giving information about identity, condition, etc.
- Every child could have embedded location detectors and many houses could have electronics for interrogating such detectors.
- When the device was interrogated, no evidence was found that a shock had been delivered.
- In such electrically passive topologies, the lasers and receivers are located remotely from the sensor arrays and interrogate the sensors via fiber-optic links.
Late 15th century: from Latin interrogat- 'questioned', from the verb interrogare, from inter- 'between' + rogare 'ask'.
Words that rhyme with interrogatederogate
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.