Definition of intersex in English:
1The abnormal condition of being intermediate between male and female; hermaphroditism.
- Over 90 percent of those born intersex are assigned female, regardless of chromosomes.
- The recommendation bucks the current practice of performing immediate ‘assignment’ surgery for most of the roughly one in 4,000 babies born intersex, many with both male and female traits.
- Susan Jobling from Brunel University is a key researcher on the feminisation of male fish, a condition known as intersex.
1.1An intersex individual; a hermaphrodite.
- Equally unclear were implications of another qualitatively different class of intersex: ‘true intersexes,’ in which even individual cells displayed a sexually intermediate phenotype.
- Triploid intersexes present an interesting genotype with two X chromosomes and three sets of autosomes.
- Males of line 9a with one copy of the transgene did not undergo a complete somatic sex transformation and developed as intersexes.
Definition of intersex in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan