- Of or relating to a minor period of less cold climate during a glacial period. Compare with interglacial.More example sentences
- Between 20000 and 105000 BP the GRIP and GISP2 cores record 22 warm interstadial events reflecting extremely rapid climatic change in the North Atlantic.
- The value of - 9 m for Robe Range relates to deposition during interstadial 5c rather than during the interglacial maximum.
- Robe 11 and Robe III refer respectively to interstadial Substages Sa and Sc according to the terminology of Schwebel.
nounBack to top
- An interstadial period.More example sentences
- At Vostok, however, only nine interstadials are recorded in the same time period.
- Data from the GRIP ice core from Greenland show that this cold period was not uniformly cold and 24 interstadials are recognized (DansgaardOeschger events).
- And even the glacial periods themselves are divided into colder phases and temperate interstadials.
early 20th century: from inter- 'between' + stadial from Latin stadialis, from stadium 'stage'.
More definitions of interstadialDefinition of interstadial in:
- The British & World English dictionary