Definition of interstitial in English:
1Of, forming, or occupying interstices: the interstitial space
More example sentences
- This fluid then contains cells which were contained in the very small air sacs of the lung, where the inflammation begins in interstitial lung disease.
- Thus, the analysis should not be unfamiliar to scholars in either Cultural Studies or the Sociology of Sport, for it occupies a largely unmapped interstitial space between the two.
- Held in place by steel flanges and lined internally with horizontal planks of pine, the segmented lead roof casings curve out and extend down the flanks of the halls, creating interstitial space for escape stairs.
1.1 Ecology (Of minute animals) living in the spaces between individual sand grains in the soil or aquatic sediments: the interstitial fauna of marine sands
More example sentences
- Who knows what other microarthropods are lurking in the sand beneath, interstitial fauna inhabiting the chinks of the world.
- All macrodasyids are marine interstitial animals that live between sand grains to which they adhere with the aid of adhesive tubules that are distributed along their whole body.
- Other animals such as echinoderms and interstitial worms can attach and let go on a time scale of seconds.
- Example sentences
- They are found from intertidal to abyssal zones at least as deep as 5,300 m interstitially in usually the upper few millimeters or centimeters of the sediment layer.
- Our simultaneously living in these strongly and starkly differing worlds is one more powerful instance of our living in a between, living liminally, interstitially where we attempt aporias and try to stay alive at the same time.
- A new and unexpected finding is that the influence of telomere proximity extends to ectopic recombination between homologous sequences located interstitially.
Words that rhyme with interstitialartificial, beneficial, initial, judicial, official, sacrificial, solstitial, superficial
Definition of interstitial in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan