Definition of introrse in English:
adjectiveBotany & Zoology
1Turned inward. The opposite of extrorse.
- Anthers are introrse and fused longitudinally through many papillae, in such a way that they form a cuff around the ovary.
- Five introrse anthers are united to form a cylinder around the style while the separate filaments are attached to the base of the corolla tubes.
mid 19th century: from Latin introrsus, from introversus 'turned inward'.
- Example sentences
- Another object of the present invention is to provide a breaking-line cutting machine for the twist-off bottle cap in which the blade of a cutting set is introrsely curved that provides a swiftly, precisely and safely cutting of the twist-off caps and insures a good quality.
- It is characterized in the introrsely curved inner edge of the cutting set by which the contact area between cutting set and the bottle cap is enlarged in order to make a precise and neat dashed breaking-line in the cap.
Definition of introrse in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India