Definition of invalidate in English:
1Make (an argument, statement, or theory) unsound or erroneous.
- His second is that finding unpleasant - even horrible - application of a scientific theory or philosophical argument invalidates the theory.
- The reporter did ask, ‘Well, doesn't that invalidate just war theory as a whole?’
- However, none of this invalidates the general theory that stock aligns CEO incentives with those of the shareholders better than does cash salary; it does.
2Deprive (an official document or procedure) of legal efficacy because of contravention of a regulation or law: a technical flaw in her papers invalidated her nomination
More example sentences
- In a four-hour opening address to a packed courtroom, the barrister went on to argue that invalidating the search warrants would set a precedent that would dangerously restrict their future operations.
- These cases stress that errors, even fraudulent errors, do not automatically invalidate the warrant.
- Finding such so-called prior art is the only way to invalidate a patent.
- Example sentences
- I asked members of the faculty at the University of Chicago Law School to estimate the number of Supreme Court invalidations of state and federal law.
- The newspaper has written to the Independent Committee Against Corruption asking for the immediate return of seized material and the invalidation of warrants used against it.
- Under one of the bills, the Post-Privatisation Control Agency should be allowed to take action towards invalidation of privatisation contracts in circumstances, which would justify such action.
- Example sentences
- The popularity of Theodore is due, not to his intellectual discernment (we laugh), but to his steady hatred of almost everything, and his capacity for being used as an invalidator, allowing a monopoly of prestige.
- This encourages invalidators to look at their own feelings rather than blaming others for things that go wrong.
- Basing his lecture around the short article by Imaam Ibn Baaz, the speaker outlines The ten main invalidators of Islaam.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan