- Above all, I admire the fact that when an exact word doesn't exist, he calmly invents one.
- He was born Jay Gatz but repudiated his origins and background while inventing a grand new persona.
- Do we really need to create artificial scarcity by inventing awards that only some kids can receive?
- When coming across names one has never heard of, one invents stories about Markson's following behind the epitaphic perspective.
- Pari, in turn, would invent long stories and narrate them to her friend.
- Last year, police said So confessed during interrogation to inventing her story because she wanted to write a novel.
Late 15th century (in the sense 'find out, discover'): from Latin invent- 'contrived, discovered', from the verb invenire, from in- 'into' + venire 'come'.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.