- A mixture of glucose and fructose obtained by the hydrolysis of sucrose.More example sentences
- When sucrose is hydrolyzed the mixture of glucose and fructose is called invert sugar.
- Watch out for other words that are used to describe added sugar, such as sucrose, glucose, fructose, hydrolysed starch and invert sugar.
- Be aware that sucrose, glucose, glucose syrup, golden syrup, maple syrup, treacle, and invert sugar are all added sugars.
late 19th century: invert from inverted, because of the reversal of optical activity involved in its formation (see the chemical sense of inversion.).
More definitions of invert sugarDefinition of invert sugar in:
- The British & World English dictionary