An animal lacking a backbone, such as an arthropod, mollusk, annelid, coelenterate, etc. The invertebrates constitute an artificial division of the animal kingdom, comprising 95 percent of animal species and about 30 different phyla. Compare with vertebrate.
- Other invertebrates, including mollusks and crustaceans, are also part of the diet.
- Insects and other aquatic invertebrates are also eaten, especially by young birds.
- During the breeding season they eat mostly insects and other invertebrates.
1Relating to or belonging to the invertebrate division of animals.
- Vertebrate and invertebrate animals, land plants, and protists are all represented as fossils in the Solnhofen Limestone.
- Sea cucumbers, invertebrate animals of the phylum Echinodermata, might hold out some hope for the afflicted.
- Most endophytes produce N-rich alkaloid compounds that deter or poison a range of vertebrate and invertebrate herbivores.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of invertebrate in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.