- 1The action of investigating something or someone; formal or systematic examination or research: he is under investigation for receiving illicit fundsMore example sentences
- A spokesman for the bus company said the incident was still under investigation.
- The cause of the blaze is under investigation, but it is thought to have started accidentally.
- He is also under investigation for opening up bogus shell companies to help his clients hide money.
- 1.1A formal inquiry or systematic study: an investigation has been launched into the potential impact of the oil spillMore example sentences
- This is followed by a formal report once all investigations have been completed.
- After all the inquiries and investigations and demonstrations, he's still there.
- There is wild talk of inquiries and commissions of investigations in the air.
- More example sentences
- I'm able to do it for increasing periods of time, although, because it's an FDA experimental procedure, investigational procedure, it's not yet authorized for the general public.
- We also assessed the patients' experience of the two investigational procedures on an integer scale of 0 to 6, with 0 indicating no recollection, 1 no discomfort, and 6 severe distress.
- There are latest incidences wherein the patients were given wrong investigational product without the knowledge of patients and these were known only during auditing or regulatory authority's inspection.
late Middle English: from Latin investigatio(n-), from the verb investigare (see investigate).