Definition of irate in English:
Feeling or characterized by great anger: a barrage of irate letters
More example sentences
- The only response to The Peak's inflammatory headline was a few mildly irate letters.
- One letter, from an irate constituent, insisted that I rang him the moment I got his letter.
- Fifty years ago it was, according to an irate letter writer in the Evening Press.
informal foaming at the mouth, hot under the collar, seeing red, cheesed off, hopping mad, PO'd, fit to be tied
mid 19th century: from Latin iratus, from ira 'anger'.
- Example sentences
- John slapped his palm against the wall, irately.
- Afterwards, James was confronted by both Nicholas and Jonathan, who both begged him to explain why he had behaved so irately before the court.
- She could hear someone talking - and rather irately at that.
- Example sentences
- Through frustration, fear, irateness, sadness, and loss, they maintain their posture through their individual characters.
- She clearly shows signs of irateness towards her husband who deliberately tries to wind people up to a breaking point.
Words that rhyme with irateabate, ablate, aerate, ait, await, backdate, bait, bate, berate, castrate, collate, conflate, crate, create, cremate, date, deflate, dictate, dilate, distraite, donate, downstate, eight, elate, equate, estate, fate, fête, fixate, freight, frustrate, gait, gate, gestate, gradate, grate, great, gyrate, hate, hydrate, inflate, innate, interrelate, interstate, Kate, Kuwait, lactate, late, locate, lustrate, mandate, mate, migrate, misdate, misstate, mistranslate, mutate, narrate, negate, notate, orate, ornate, Pate, placate, plate, prate, prorate, prostrate, pulsate, pupate, quadrate, rate, rotate, sate, sedate, serrate, short weight, skate, slate, spate, spectate, spruit, stagnate, state, straight, strait, Tate, tête-à-tête, Thwaite, translate, translocate, transmigrate, truncate, underrate, understate, underweight, update, uprate, upstate, up-to-date, vacate, vibrate, wait, weight
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan