Definition of iron man in English:
1(Especially in sporting contexts) an exceptionally strong or robust man.
- What was the iron man of baseball doing in Kannapolis, N.C., of all places, retiring a No.3 jersey in honor of the late Dale Earnhardt?
- The guy is not glamorous, he really is very strong indeed, and a bit of an iron man when it comes to chess stamina.
- It is not beyond the bounds of reasonable possibility to suggest that the Ballymac iron man could add another notch or two to that belt in the years ahead.
1.1 [often as modifier] A multi-event sporting contest demanding stamina, in particular a consecutive triathlon of swimming, cycling, and running.
- One day she'd like to compete in the Olympics and even the Ironman, the most arduous triathlon in the world.
- Among elite athletes who endure the intense swim-bike-run race called the Ironman, those leading the pack have a different mind-set than stragglers.
- I won the Ironman and Austria Grand Prix, but finished second at both the Arnold Schwarzenegger Classic and San Francisco Grand Prix.
Definition of iron man in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan