Definition of ironwood in English:
1Any of a number of trees that produce very hard timber, in particular.
- ● A southern African tree of the olive family (Olea laurifolia, family Oleaceae). ● another term for the American hornbeam and the eastern hornbeam (see hornbeam)
- Sugar maples commonly share the forest with ironwood, beech, basswood, white ash, black cherry, yellow birch, white pine, and red oak.
- Later we tour his plantation, through virgin forest of soaring ironwood and banyan trees and rustly arcades of cardamom leaves, with clusters of young green pods at the base.
- The three dominant tree species of the forest canopy are sugar maple, ironwood, and white ash.
Definition of ironwood in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan