- 1Any of a number of trees that produce very hard timber, in particular.
More example sentences
- ● a southern African tree of the olive family (Olea laurifolia, family Oleaceae). ● another term for the American hornbeam and the eastern hornbeam (see hornbeam)
- Sugar maples commonly share the forest with ironwood, beech, basswood, white ash, black cherry, yellow birch, white pine, and red oak.
- Later we tour his plantation, through virgin forest of soaring ironwood and banyan trees and rustly arcades of cardamom leaves, with clusters of young green pods at the base.
- The three dominant tree species of the forest canopy are sugar maple, ironwood, and white ash.
- 2 see titi2.
More definitions of ironwoodDefinition of ironwood in:
- The British & World English dictionary