2 Physiology Relating to or denoting muscular action in which tension is developed without contraction of the muscle.
- We did not use a tensiometer to measure the isometric power of the shoulder.
- In vivo, the diaphragm does not perform maximum isometric contractions but shortens against a submaximal load.
- Isometric tension should thus decrease because it is proportional to duty ratio.
3(In technical or architectural drawing) incorporating a method of showing projection or perspective in which the three principal dimensions are represented by three axes 120° apart.
- Eakins taught perspective, mechanical drawing, and isometric drawing to his students at the Pennsylvania Academy using a manual that he wrote for the purpose but never published.
- Although the stitched textiles have physical presence, their intersecting linear passages function primarily as isometric drawing.
- Type Is at the command line to quickly shift cursors for isometric drawing views.
4 Mathematics (Of a transformation) without change of shape or size.
- In isometric change, shape is constant at all sizes.
- The applet allows for experimentation with two other families of isometric curves.
- Codazzi also published on isometric lines, geodesic triangles and the stability of floating bodies.
- Example sentences
- The authors solve this problem for isometrically coiled shells in a very elegant manner that takes advantage of the spiral curves' inherent geometry.
- Muscle tension was recorded isometrically under a resting tension of 10 mN as reported previously.
- Squeeze your contracted muscle isometrically as you complete each rep to intensify the effort and maximize the pump.
Mid 19th century: from Greek isometria 'equality of measure' (from isos 'equal' + -metria 'measuring') + -ic.
Words that rhyme with isometricanthropometric, asymmetric, diametric, geometric, kilometric, metric, obstetric, psychometric, pyrometric, sociometric
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of isometric in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.