- A liquid hydrocarbon present in petroleum. It serves as a standard in the system of octane numbers.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: (CH3)3CCH2CH(CH3)CH3
- They are rated based on their ability to resist knocking against a standard mixture of two hydrocarbons, isooctane and heptane.
- Mix gasoline with the right number of hydrocarbons and you get isooctane.
- The end result is the addition of isobutane to isobutylene to form isooctane, the molecule that is the basis of octane ratings seen at the gas pumps.
More definitions of isooctaneDefinition of isooctane in:
- The British & World English dictionary