- A volatile liquid hydrocarbon obtained from petroleum, whose molecule forms the basic structural unit of natural and synthetic rubbers.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: CH2C(CH3)CHCH2
- He attempted to polymerize isoprene, which was known to be a component of rubber.
- Organolithium-initiated polymerization of isoprene was discovered in 1957.
- Larger terpenes are uncommon, with the exception of polymeric isoprene, well known as rubber.
mid 19th century: apparently from iso- 'equal' + pr(opyl)ene.
More definitions of isopreneDefinition of isoprene in:
- The British & World English dictionary