- A family of organic compounds found in tangy herbs such as horseradish, mustard, and onions. They have several patented applications including use as a pesticide, and their presence in the diet is thought to help prevent cancer in humans.More example sentences
- Raw cabbage is rich in glucosinolate, which fermentation breaks down into isothiocyanates and other cancer-fighting compounds.
- The pungency of wasabi, horseradish, Brussels sprouts, and mustards comes from compounds called isothiocyanates.
- Broccoli, cabbage and other members of the brassica family contain sulforaphane as well as indoles and isothiocyanates, which appear to fight various cancers.
More definitions of isothiocyanateDefinition of isothiocyanate in:
- The British & World English dictionary