Definition of its in English:
- She drove across the grass area, hit the road sign and the car turned over on to its side.
- You could serve it as a side dish, on its own with a salad, or as part of buffet spread.
- The bow is separated from the main body of the wreck and rests on its starboard side.
- The ideal is for a lamb to have milk from its mother as soon as possible after birth.
- Owner Jane Organ said it was tragic for the pup to be taken from its mother at such a young age.
- She may be its mother but that does not give her the right to decide whether or not it lives or dies.
Its is the possessive form of it ( the dog licked its paw), while it’s is the contraction of it is ( look, it’s a dog licking its paw) or it has ( it’s been too long). The apostrophe in it’s never denotes a possessive. The confusion is understandable, since other possessive forms (singular nouns) do take an apostrophe + s, as in the girl’s bike or the president’s smile.
Words that rhyme with itsBiarritz, blitz, Fritz, glitz, it's, Ritz, spitz, spritz, St Kitts
Definition of its in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.