Definition of ivy in English:
noun (plural ivies)
1A woody evergreen Eurasian climbing plant, typically having shiny, dark green five-pointed leaves.
- Genus Hedera, family Araliaceae: several species, in particular the common English ivy (H. helix), which is often seen climbing on tree trunks and walls
- Standards of plants not requiring dormant cycles, such as bougainvillea, hibiscus, ivies or geraniums, have a simple winter culture.
- Spider plants and ivies are ideal for desks, and a large-leaved Ficus lyrata or Phoenix roebelinii will cheer up a bare corner.
- Containers can be given a new lease of life by replacing these plants with autumn and winter specimens such as pansies, winter-flowering heathers, hardy cyclamen and evergreen ivies.
1.1Used in names of climbing plants similar to ivy, e.g., poison ivy, Boston ivy.
- I don't much like poison ivy but that doesn't mean I don't like ivy, or plants.
- Boston Ivy can easily climb tree bark, wooden fences, concrete masonry, and brick or stone walls.
- Boston Ivy, Parthenocissus tricuspidata is a deciduous vine with tendrils. Boston Ivy has glossy dark green leaves that turn bright red in the fall.
2An Ivy League university: many of the Ivies had been founded for the purpose of training students as ministers
More example sentences
- Traditionally, Princeton has also been far less a magnet for media coverage than Ivies with departments, such as Harvard or Yale.
- The prep schools and the Ivies are a key part of the Northeast's identity, its sense of academic excellence and its aristocratic subculture.
- He was smart enough to be recruited by the Ivies yet never finished his degree at Maryland.
2.1A prestigious college or university of a specified region or type: Duke is considered one of the “Southern Ivies” one would think that seats at these public Ivies would be reserved for graduates of that state’s high schools
More example sentences
- Boston College sent out a notice that it had been named one of the 25 "New Ivies" in Newsweek.
- According to The Public Ivies: America's Flagship Public Universities, the University of Colorado Boulder is considered one of the prestigious "Public Ivy League" schools.
- There is also a trend toward the semiprivatization of state flagship campus institutions (now being called "the public Ivies"), which may push fees yet higher.
Words that rhyme with ivySylvie • grovy
Definition of ivy in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.