Definition of ivy in English:
1A woody evergreen Eurasian climbing plant, typically having shiny, dark green five-pointed leaves.
- Genus Hedera, family Araliaceae: several species, in particular the common English ivy (H. helix), which is often seen climbing on tree trunks and walls
- Standards of plants not requiring dormant cycles, such as bougainvillea, hibiscus, ivies or geraniums, have a simple winter culture.
- Spider plants and ivies are ideal for desks, and a large-leaved Ficus lyrata or Phoenix roebelinii will cheer up a bare corner.
- Containers can be given a new lease of life by replacing these plants with autumn and winter specimens such as pansies, winter-flowering heathers, hardy cyclamen and evergreen ivies.
1.1Used in names of climbing plants similar to ivy, e.g., poison ivy, Boston ivy.
- I don't much like poison ivy but that doesn't mean I don't like ivy, or plants.
- Boston Ivy can easily climb tree bark, wooden fences, concrete masonry, and brick or stone walls.
- Boston Ivy, Parthenocissus tricuspidata is a deciduous vine with tendrils. Boston Ivy has glossy dark green leaves that turn bright red in the fall.
Words that rhyme with ivySylvie • grovy
Definition of ivy in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan