- A Norse or Danish chief.More example sentences
- But the name earl gradually merged with the Danish jarl and, after the reign of Alfred, earls took over the responsibilities of ealdormen.
- The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle suggests that the Viking armies were led by jarls as often as kings.
- From the hill folk, I had heard Cyneric was begotten to a Danish woman by a famous jarl named Sigólfr, a name Cyneric bore whether or not the tale was false.
Old Norse, literally 'man of noble birth'; related to earl.
More definitions of jarlDefinition of jarl in:
- The British & World English dictionary