Definition of jellyfish in English:
noun (plural same or jellyfishes)
1A free-swimming marine coelenterate with a jellylike bell- or saucer-shaped body that is typically transparent and has stinging tentacles around the edge.
- Classes Scyphozoa and Cubozoa
- Like jellyfish, Medusa can sting an enemy with its tentacles.
- Man-eating saltwater crocodiles lurk in nearby estuaries along with the deadly box jellyfish, the most poisonous creature on earth.
- If you should get stung by a box jellyfish, you won't get off lightly.
2 informal A feeble or weak-willed person.
- It's a tragedy regardless of how it happened and people like you who lecture after an accident are the lowest form of weak willed spineless jellyfish.
- I suppose you have no qualms about being spineless jellyfish - so long as you win elections - right?
- Frankie was a spineless jellyfish that didn't deserve to make money from Tan.
Words that rhyme with jellyfishstiffish • kingfish
Definition of jellyfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan