Definition of jerboa in English:
A desert-dwelling rodent with very long hind legs that enable it to walk upright and perform long jumps, found from North Africa to central Asia.
- Family Dipodidae: several genera and species, including the rough-legged (or northern three-toed) jerboa (Dipus sagitta)
- The family Dipodidae includes the birch mice, jumping mice, and jerboas, a total of around 51 species in 15 genera.
- In early 1940 the division took as its emblem the jerboa or desert rat.
- Macalister says that the muscle is especially developed in leaping animals such as the kangaroo, jerboa, macrocelides.
Mid 17th century: modern Latin, from Arabic yarbū‘.
Words that rhyme with jerboaanoa, Balboa, blower, boa, foregoer, goer, grower, hoer, knower, Krakatoa, Lebowa, lower, moa, mower, Mururoa, Noah, o'er, proa, protozoa, rower, Samoa, sewer, Shenandoah, shower, sower, spermatozoa, Stour, thrower, tower
Definition of jerboa in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.