- 1A narrow, variable band of very strong, predominantly westerly air currents encircling the globe several miles above the earth. There are typically two or three jet streams in each of the northern and southern hemispheres.More example sentences
- The easterly jet is replaced by a narrow westerly subtropical jet stream on the southern edge of the Himalaya.
- Previous studies have shown that during the solar maximum, the jet stream in the Northern Hemisphere moves northward.
- The jet stream is a band of very strong winds at around 30,000 ft above the surface of the Earth, which controls the weather that we see on the ground.
- 2A flow of exhaust gasses from a jet engine.More example sentences
- Then just under 24 hours later, I hear it again, but still have no luck spotting the airplane - or even her jet stream.
- Strange that a jet stream can find a straight path through a bunch of constantly clashing asteroids as big as apartment buildings.
- The two missiles screamed through the air pushed on by a jet stream of fire and leaving a long trail of smoke.
More definitions of jet streamDefinition of jet stream in:
- The British & World English dictionary