Definition of Jew's ear in English:
- Auricularia auricula-judae, family Auriculariaceae, class Hymenomycetes
- A delicious side dish, Jew's ear also can be added to many dishes such as fish, meat, chicken and all kinds of soup.
- Grind 15 grams of fried sesame with 60 grams of Jew's ear, half of it raw and half fried.
- Mutton, soft-shelled turtles, chicken, longan, chili, walnuts and Jew's ear are very good to enrich energy and blood.
Mid 16th century: a mistranslation of medieval Latin auricula Judae 'Judas's ear', from its shape, and because it grows on the elder, which was said to be the tree from which Judas Iscariot hanged himself.
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.