Definition of jewel beetle in English:
A chiefly tropical beetle that has bold metallic colors and patterns. The larvae are mainly wood-borers and can be serious pests of timber.
- Family Buprestidae: numerous genera
- Scientists have calculated that the European jewel beetle Melanophila acuminata, about 1 cm. in length, can detect a 25-acre forest fire from 7.5 miles away.
- The jewel beetle, Melanophila acuminate, is a living fire detector.
- The University of Bonn uses the infrared-sensitive sensors of the jewel beetle as a template for a remote fire-sensitive network.
Definition of jewel beetle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.