Definition of jojoba in English:
1 (also jojoba oil) An oil extracted from the seeds of an American shrub, widely used in cosmetics.
- The lipsticks contain shea butter to smooth and protect the lips, along with rose petal extracts, almond and jojoba oil.
- We also use organic aloe vera gel, sunflower oil, jojoba oil and tea tree oil, to name a few.
- Eco Lips organic lip balm is also petroleum free and uses 70 percent certified organic ingredients, such as beeswax, calendula, jojoba oil and peppermint oil.
2The leathery-leaved evergreen shrub or small tree that produces these seeds, native chiefly to the southwestern US. It is grown to prevent desertification as well as for its seeds.
- Simmondsia chinensis, the only member of the family Simmondsiaceae
- These tiny spheres, derived from the seeds of the jojoba plant, are uniform in size and shape and are far less irritating to the skin.
- We also learn that the jojoba, or Simmondsia chinensis, helped save the sperm whale, after it was discovered that oil from the plant had properties similar to whale oil and could be used to lubricate high-speed machinery.
- Oil from the jojoba shrub, commonly used in cosmetics, may prove to be another alternative to diesel fuel.
Early 20th century: from Mexican Spanish.
Words that rhyme with jojobaManitoba, October, sober
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.