A widely cultivated narcissus with clusters of small fragrant yellow flowers and cylindrical leaves, native to southern Europe and northeastern Africa.
- Narcissus jonquilla, family Liliaceae (or Amaryllidaceae)
More example sentences
- Other flowers featured in the magazine included daisies and daffodils, jonquils and jasmines, roses and ranunculus, and hundreds of others.
- In actual fact, all daffodils and jonquils are narcissi - but only some narcissi are daffodils and only a few are jonquils.
- Yellow is the most cheerful of all colours, which is why it is so lovely to have daffodils and jonquils in the garden.
early 17th century: from modern Latin jonquilla or French jonquille, from Spanish junquillo, diminutive of junco, from Latin juncus 'rush, reed'.
Definition of jonquil in:
- The British & World English dictionary