- The SI unit of work or energy, equal to the work done by a force of one newton when its point of application moves one meter in the direction of action of the force, equivalent to one 3600th of a watt-hour.More example sentences
- And a joule is indeed a sensible sort of unit in everyday life - a 60-watt lightbulb radiates 60 joules of energy every second.
- The unit of absorbed dose is call the gray, which is the amount of energy in joules from the radiation absorbed per kilogram of the absorbing material.
- One calorie of heat is equivalent to 4.2 joules of work.
late 19th century: named after J. P. Joule (see Joule, James Prescott).
More definitions of jouleDefinition of joule in:
- The British & World English dictionary