Definition of jowl in English:
1The lower part of a person’s or animal’s cheek, especially when it is fleshy or drooping: she had a large nose and heavy jowls
More example sentences
- He's about 50 pounds overweight, with a heavy gut and jowls.
- He was a slight man with keen eyes, dark hair, a heavy jowl and bony fingers.
- She wore her hair tied back, which only accentuated her large face and fleshy jowls.
1.1North American The cheek of a pig used as meat.
- Using what were considered ‘throwaway’ cuts of meat - such as pork jowls and ribs - barbecuing provided an economic means of feeding a family.
- These legumes are typically accompanied by either hog jowls or ham.
- Hams, shoulders, jowls, and sides of bacon could be cured to last indefinitely.
- [in combination]: ruddy-jowled
- Example sentences
- He'll be genetically to blame when I go all jowly.
- The other man's jowly face was wreathed in smiles.
- Joe graduated at 14, already thick in the chest, but clean-cut, with none of the jowly, predatory look of his adult years.
Definition of jowl in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan