Definition of jumping bean in English:
A plant seed that jumps as a result of the movement of a moth larva that is developing inside it.
- Affected seeds are found in several plants of the family Euphorbiaceae, in particular the Mexican plant Sebastiana pavoniana, the seeds of which can contain larvae of the moth Cydia saltitans
- They had obtained a pair of Mexican jumping beans.
- The movements of a jumping bean are actually caused by a caterpillar that lives inside the seed.
- The movement of a Mexican jumping bean will cause the tumbler to turn and toss about.
Definition of jumping bean in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia