Definition of jumping bean in English:
A plant seed that jumps as a result of the movement of a moth larva that is developing inside it.
- Affected seeds are found in several plants of the family Euphorbiaceae, in particular the Mexican plant Sebastiana pavoniana, the seeds of which can contain larvae of the moth Cydia saltitans
- They had obtained a pair of Mexican jumping beans.
- The movements of a jumping bean are actually caused by a caterpillar that lives inside the seed.
- The movement of a Mexican jumping bean will cause the tumbler to turn and toss about.
Definition of jumping bean in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.