1A military or political group that rules a country after taking power by force: the country’s ruling military junta
More example sentences
- In the 1960s the Ecuadorian Communist Party hailed the military junta that came to power with the backing of the CIA.
- As prime minister he handed over power to a military junta in 1971.
- Over 30,000 people were killed as a military junta which seized power in 1976 unleashed terror against all opposition.
2 historical A deliberative or administrative council in Spain or Portugal.
- A Supreme Central Junta met in Aranjuez on 25 September 1808.
- It is said that the Central Junta of the Carlist organization is to meet today to discuss means to procure funds to support an insurrection in Catalonia.
Words that rhyme with juntaArunta, Bunter, chunter, Grantha, grunter, Gunter, hunter, punter, shunter
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.