Definition of jury-rigged in English:
1(Of a ship) having temporary makeshift rigging.
- She was still scarred after her encounters with icebergs so proper repairs to her jury-rigged jib boom were a top priority.
- Dwarfed by the boat's jury-rigged splashboard, Lee had pushed to a handy boat length lead at the finish and will qualify for the final.
- He is closing on the last remaining competitor who, in panic, redoubles his efforts to coax his own damaged, worn out and jury-rigged boat faster, causing it to break up entirely and sink.
1.1chiefly North American Makeshift; improvised: jury-rigged classrooms in gymnasiums
More example sentences
- But no football club in the land can really be expected to survive long-term at a jury-rigged stadium with a couple of temporary stands squeezed into the corner and supporters separated from the action by the width of a running track.
- Reynolds, in particular, makes use of this jury-rigged stringer system to alert his readers to articles that would otherwise go unnoticed.
- But enough of this - even though I'm sitting here with a jury-rigged computer I'm about to get back into the swing of things.
Late 18th century: jury perhaps based on Old French ajurie 'aid'.
- Example sentences
- The engineers jury-rigged chill water, tying in fittings with a fire hose to restore air conditioning.
- She was taken there by the wheezing and heroic efforts of a very old outboard motor, jury-rigged over her stern, and by the cheerful encouragement of five children, one woman and a man, and she knew immediately that she'd found her place.
- In real life, of course, a brigantine's crew would have either fixed or jury-rigged a rudder at sea (far more difficult repairs were routinely made afloat) or simply steered the ship with her sails.
Definition of jury-rigged in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan