The fact of two things being seen or placed close together with contrasting effect: the juxtaposition of these two images
More example sentences
- Note the coincidental juxtaposition of these two Summer-themed songs.
- Another interesting thread is the juxtaposition of traditional and contemporary practice.
- A kind of levelling has taken place, in which works co-exist in democratic if sometimes odd juxtapositions.
- Example sentences
- Search out the remarkable ‘Still Life’ on the right wall and marvel at the adventurous use of juxtapositional colour: reds and pinks and greens that only a master can get away with.
- Herman's juxtapositional method usually helps her to ground ethical concerns in analyses of how difference and affiliation could be conceived in the period and thus to avoid reducing modernist community to a proleptic postmodernism.
- In a culturally plural world, subjectivity and intersubjectivity have an accommodating, juxtapositional complexity that binary distinctions misrepresent.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.