Definition of kakapo in English:
noun (plural kakapos)
A large flightless New Zealand parrot with greenish plumage. Now endangered, it is nocturnal and ground-dwelling. Also called owl parrot.
- Strigops habroptilus, family Psittacidae
- The kakapo, a flightless bird, was particularly vulnerable to predators.
- Among its treasure trove of fauna, New Zealand has other unique species such as the nocturnal, flightless kakapo, the world's largest parrot, of which only 83 remain.
- From Luke comes news of the ovipository feats of the world's rarest parrot, the kakapo.
mid 19th century: from Maori, literally 'night kaka'.
Definition of kakapo in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan