A form of the disease leishmaniasis marked by emaciation, anemia, fever, and enlargement of the liver and spleen.
- This is caused by Leishmania donovani, phylum Kinetoplastida, kingdom Protista
More example sentences
- Why have these partnerships ignored the most neglected diseases, such as kala-azar, Chagas' disease, and sleeping sickness?
- Still scrounging for food and blighted by diseases like kala-azar and tuberculosis, many live as bonded labourers, and face acute food shortage and starvation every year.
- Most cases of HIV related kala-azar have so far been reported in southern Europe along the Mediterranean basin.
late 19th century: from Assamese, from kālā 'black' + āzār 'disease' (because of the bronzing of the skin often associated with it).
Definition of kala-azar in:
- The British & World English dictionary