1A narcotic sedative drink made in Polynesia from the crushed roots of a plant of the pepper family.
- In many cultures, men and occasionally women retire each evening to the nakamal to prepare and drink kava, an infusion of the pepper plant.
- All chief ceremonies, however, regardless of village, culminate in the kava ceremony wherein the candidate drinks kava for the first time as the new chief.
- Also, avoid combining kava with alcohol or sedatives.
2The Polynesian shrub from which the kava root is obtained.
- Piper methysticum, family Piperaceae.
- The first version portrays him as parting the sea with a cycas leaf, the second adds soil enclosed in a wild kava leaf and a bamboo flute to the ritual paraphernalia of departure.
- If you have mood disorders such as depression, currently take mood-altering medication or have Parkinson's disease, avoid the herb kava.
- My neighbor says the herb kava is a natural way to calm nerves.
Late 18th century: from Tongan.
Words that rhyme with kavabalaclava, Bratislava, carver, cassava, Costa Brava, guava, Java, larva, lava, palaver
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of kava in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.